Re: What is our technical debt?

On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 14:46, Miroslav Suchý <msuchy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dne 30. 06. 20 v 9:44 Pierre-Yves Chibon napsal(a):
> > What are you talking about here? The Fedora release process? The mass-branching
> > in dist-git?
>
> This. And creating new gpg keys, new mock configs, new tags in Koji, add release to retrace.f.o, Copr, ... I have a
> dream where you just bump up number in - let say - PDC and everything else will happen automagically. At right time.

I think choosing the one tool which is so end of life to do it in.. is
a sign of why we can't do this. Every release some set of tools in
Fedora get added by some team who have been working on their own
schedules and their own API without any idea of any other teams
working on. We then have to do a lot of integration and make it work
before the release deadline to make it work. Then usually after 1 or 2
releases that software team is no longer in existence and we have to
continue with it waiting for the promised replacement which will do
all those things you list above.. but instead get some other tool
which has to be shoved in.

Every attempt to stop this has been given great 'that sounds great,
but you have to  wait until we land OUR important tool which won't
actually meet any of those needs but has to be in place.' I think for
this to actually work, we need to redesign our entire application flow
and product lines.. which 20 years of Stockholm syndrome makes it hard
for me to see ever happening.

> --
> Miroslav Suchy, RHCA
> Red Hat, Associate Manager ABRT/Copr, #brno, #fedora-buildsys

Stephen J Smoogen.