Re: What is our technical debt?

On 26/06/2020 12:14, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 10:50:47AM +0100, Stephen Coady wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jun 2020 at 10:34, David Kirwan <dkirwan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

If we are moving towards openshift/kubernetes backed services, we should probably be sticking with containers rather than Vagrant. We can use CRC [1] (Code Ready Containers) or minikube [2] for most local dev work.

The only problem with that is not everything runs in containers. For
example the new AAA service is backed by FreeIPA and that does not run
in a container.
   It doesn't? What about https://github.com/freeipa/freeipa-container ?

Everything will run in a virtual machine given that
enough care has been put into creating the VM. I don't think the same
can be said for containers.
   I think in todays world we should develop for containers first.
Especially when k8s abstracts many things and provides useful
infrastructure for application.  A bit like systemd a decade ago, by
providing useful APIs like socket-activation, watchdog, restarts,
parallel invocations locks, applications do not have to care about
re-implementing boring stuff over and over again.
It will also make integration testing with other containerized apps much easier.

--
Role: Fedora CPE Team - Software Engineer
IRC: mkonecny