Re: What is our technical debt?

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 at 21:00, Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've recently had quite some pain with vagrant (just today, I've tried several
> time to start my bodhi vagrant box and lost my morning w/o success).
>
> I guess it may be nice to see if there is something else out there that we could
> leverage.
> If we could adopt one and try to get have it on most of our apps this may be a
> nice goal for us to work towards.
>

> Pierre

I've experienced the same, and since I don't have any Ruby experience
it is very difficult to debug when something goes wrong. Vagrant is
far from perfect but I do think it is much, much better than the
alternatives.

One big problem though is that even these boxes can quickly fall out
of date and stop working when dependencies are no longer happy running
inside the VM. In a project with a very occasional pull request this
is a problem. One possible solution here is to run nightly builds on
these projects. This would make it easier to see something that needs
to be updated before it gets out of hand and becomes a huge chunk of
work.

--
Stephen Coady