Re: What is our technical debt?

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 03:51:42PM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 3:27 PM Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Good Morning Everyone,
> >
> > Just like every team we have technical debt in our work.
> > I would like your help to try to define what it is for us.
> >
> > So far, I've come up with the following:
> > - python3 support/migration
> > - fedora-messaging
> > - fedora-messaging schema
> > - documentation
> > - (unit-)tests
> > - OpenID Connect
> >
> > What else would we want in there?
> >

> These are all good things, especially the documentation one. I'd like
> to zero in on a particular aspect of documentation, though: getting to
> hack on it. A lot of our projects are surprisingly difficult to get up
> and running for someone to play with and hack on, and this is
> increasingly true as we adopt OpenShift-style deployments. One way we
> solved this in Pagure is by providing some quick start processes in
> the documentation and a fully working Vagrant based process to boot up
> and have a working environment to hack on the code.
>
> I'm not necessarily going to specify it needs to be Vagrant for
> everything, but I think this is something we should have for all of
> our projects, so that people *can* easily get going to use and
> contribute.

I've recently had quite some pain with vagrant (just today, I've tried several
time to start my bodhi vagrant box and lost my morning w/o success).

I guess it may be nice to see if there is something else out there that we could
leverage.
If we could adopt one and try to get have it on most of our apps this may be a
nice goal for us to work towards.

Pierre