Re: What is our technical debt?

On Thu, 2020-06-25 at 21:59 +0200, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 03:51:42PM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 3:27 PM Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Good Morning Everyone,
> > >
> > > Just like every team we have technical debt in our work.
> > > I would like your help to try to define what it is for us.
> > >
> > > So far, I've come up with the following:
> > > - python3 support/migration
> > > - fedora-messaging
> > > - fedora-messaging schema
> > > - documentation
> > > - (unit-)tests
> > > - OpenID Connect
> > >
> > > What else would we want in there?
> > >

> > These are all good things, especially the documentation one. I'd like
> > to zero in on a particular aspect of documentation, though: getting to
> > hack on it. A lot of our projects are surprisingly difficult to get up
> > and running for someone to play with and hack on, and this is
> > increasingly true as we adopt OpenShift-style deployments. One way we
> > solved this in Pagure is by providing some quick start processes in
> > the documentation and a fully working Vagrant based process to boot up
> > and have a working environment to hack on the code.
> >
> > I'm not necessarily going to specify it needs to be Vagrant for
> > everything, but I think this is something we should have for all of
> > our projects, so that people *can* easily get going to use and
> > contribute.
>
> I've recently had quite some pain with vagrant (just today, I've tried several
> time to start my bodhi vagrant box and lost my morning w/o success).
>
> I guess it may be nice to see if there is something else out there that we could
> leverage.
> If we could adopt one and try to get have it on most of our apps this may be a
> nice goal for us to work towards.

The thing is, even if vagrant *itself* is shonky as hell (I agree), if
you vagrant-ify a project, there is at least a recipe I can relatively
easily follow in a manually setup VM or mock root or whatever I like.
The fact that the recipe is designed for vagrant is almost incidental,
the key thing is that there's an 'official' "here's how to set up a dev
env from scratch" recipe.

Of course, it needs to be kept up to date and working...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey