Re: COVID-19 contingency plans for infra and release engineering

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 10:49:41AM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> Hi teams,
>
> As many of you already know, Red Hat has asked all employees to work
> from home. I know that many (most?) of you don't work from a Red Hat
> office normally (particularly if you're not a Red Hat employee!), but
> I want to check on the impact that an extended shutdown might have on
> the infrastructure, particularly the release engineering activities as
> we approach the Fedora 32 GA (currently scheduled for 21 April).

Yeah, all the infrastructure and releng folks are already remote.

So, I don't think this will have too much impact.

> In addition, what are our personnel risks? For example, if Mohan gets
> too sick to work, do we have enough shared knowledge and access to cut
> a release?

Yep. I think we do. I think we have at least 2 folks able to do any one
thing (of course it would be good to increase this number).

> Obviously, everyone is going to be impacted in some way, even if none
> of us get sick. This is a stressful and uncertain time. I've made it
> clear to Fedora and Red Hat leadership that we will continue with the
> schedule, but that the priority is the health of our community
> members. I don't want anyone working beyond what's reasonable for
> their personal situation. I just need to understand the risks so we
> can make plans to mitigate them or adjust the release schedule.

Yeah, it's really hard to predict. I hope after the next week or so we
will know more longer term impacts and settle into some kind of new
'routine'.

kevin