Re: proposal: move pagure01 and pagure-stg01 to rdu2

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 3:57 PM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I'd like to propose we migrate pagure01 (which is pagure.io) and
> pagure-stg01 (pagure-stg.io) from osuosl to the community cage in rdu2.

What is "community cage in rdu2"? What is "rdu2"? Where is it?

> We have had odd networking problems between .cz and osuosl and at times
> between phx2 and osuosl.
>
> Moving things would allow us to:
>
> drop the pagure-proxy in ibiblio (which currently proxies all traffic to
> the osuosl instances to avoid the networking issues from cz).
>
> move forward with adding repospanner to ansible and have it appear in
> pagure.io so people could do PR's and CI and other fun things against
> our ansible repo.
>
> Why not move it to openshift? Well, we could, but thats going to take
> cycles we don't have right now, so a simple migration seems much easier
> and gets us a lot of good.

There's a community PR for Helm charts for Pagure, but I haven't
gotten around to building the underlying bits for that (container
images, etc.).

And even so, that wouldn't help in our case because of repoSpanner,
which isn't supported by our container stuff right now.

> Why not move it to phx2? Well, we would need to get a bunch of ports
> opened for it's use and we may well be moving resources out of phx2 at
> some point, so we really don't want to add another thing to move out.

Why would we be moving things out of phx2? We're not losing resources
in the dc, are we?

> Why not make a new instance in rdu2 and migrate just data to it?
> Again, we could, but at this point a brute force migration seems like a
> better use of our cycles than figuring exactly what needs synced over.
> If we really don't want the downtime we can look more into this, I just
> worry that it will take a lot of time to make sure we have everything
> synced and setup right.

This makes sense to me.

> If folks are ok with this, I'd like to consider taking it down friday
> late afternoon and migrating it over this weekend. It would have
> downtime for however long it takes to sync the disk over. I can do
> pagure-stg01 as a test run later this week if we like.
>
> Thoughts?

If we want to do this, we should make that announcement ASAP.

Is there a way we could do this without taking down the whole system
for a long period of time? I expect it'd take a while to migrate...