Re: Proposal to increase number of concurrent MBS builds

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 at 04:52, Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would like to propose increasing NUM_CONCURRENT_BUILDS for MBS to
> value 100 after beta freeze is over.
>
> The above MBS setting controls how many parallel component builds MBS
> can run at the same time. Current value is only 20. That value was
> defined 3 years ago, in March 2017 when there were much fewer modules
> in Fedora. Our Koji has capacity to run many more builds. Currently we
> have 158 Koji builders in default channel that are able to run RPM
> builds. Their total capacity is 566. Therefore it should be safe to
> increase MBS NUM_CONCURRENT_BUILDS to at least 100. Especially since
> Koji builds submitted by MBS have lower priority than default for
> non-modular component builds submitted by packagers, so
> packager-submitted builds will take precedence over builds submitted
> by MBS.

Does the koji numbers above take into account architectures? While
have 158 builders they are spread out over a lot of architectures with
~12 s390x builders, ~30 ppc64le, ~20 arm and ~20 aarch64 builders and
I guess ~70 x86_64 builders. So while we could build a lot more x86_64
builds at once, could we completely swamp the other arches and
actually cause problems for even completing the x86_64 ones?

If the architecture would be a problem, should we look at the
smaller/slowest number of builders and work out what its capacity is
and not go much above that?

> --
> Mikolaj Izdebski

Stephen J Smoogen.