Re: External access to the AMQP broker

I'm assuming you're considering the solution where we have a single
broker and we make it publicly accessible (option 1).

> how easy would it be to turn off the possibility for external
> publisher to flood the broker ?

External clients won't publish anything, they'll be read-only (with a
few exceptions like the CentOS CI folks). However they can create a
huge amount of queues, subscribe to everything and never consume
anything.
We can mitigate that by setting up another vhost (in the cluster we
already have) for external clients, limit the number of queues on that
vhost, and enforce a time to live on messages in the queues. It'll
require some fine tuning, though, and external clients will still be
able to DoS other external clients if we don't do authentication
(option A).
I value option 2 (separate broker) higher than option 1 (same broker)
because I'm not entirely sure those limits can prevent any kind of DoS
on the broker. Attackers are creative. It's easier to make sure the
resources used by a 2nd cluster don't impact the resources of the 1st
cluster.

> Can we configure the queues that are critical to have higher
> priority to the external ones ?

Yes, by  using a different vhost for internal (and CentOS) stuff and
external stuff, and replicating messages from the internal to the
external vhost.

>  If we have on public broker with authentication can we easily kill the accounts that are flooding us ?

Yes, that's the main advantage of option B.

> What are the consequences of the service been down ? What is an
> acceptable down time 1 min, 1h , 1 day , 1 week, 1 month ?

I would say that the internal messaging service needs a high
availability, while the SLA for the external service can be lower.
That's also a reason for me prefering option 2.

I hope that clarifies a bit.

Aurélien