Re: Development brainstorming for Tahrir / Badges (was: Fedora-badges)

On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 at 19:52, Justin W. Flory <jflory7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Clement, thanks for this detailed feedback.
>
> I agree focusing on CI/CD and improving development environment
> instructions is helpful and a good goal for the hackfest; I'm replying
> in-line with some other thoughts.
>
> On 1/17/19 3:39 AM, Clement Verna wrote:
> > Hi Justin,
> >
> > I am replying here to your IRC questions :-)
> >
> > So I think that indeed setting up basic CI/CD and maybe a container
> > based development environment would be a good start.
> > The Infra team is meeting next week in Brno and one item of the long
> > agenda we have is to move applications to Openshift so maybe we will
> > have the time to do that for badges. This would allow to use a much
> > nicer workflow.
> >

> Running Tahrir/Badges in OpenShift would be awesome. I saw some commits
> from Randy this week. Was there any success on running Badges in OpenShift?

No,  we only had time to setup the CI so that you can get feedback on PR.

See https://jenkins-fedora-apps.apps.ci.centos.org/job/tahrir/

> > About migrating to another framework, I think this is an hard task (I
> > don't know much of the tahrir code base tho) since it usually mean you
> > need someone that knows well the current code base and framework and
> > that also knows well the new framework this sounds difficult for me.
> > Although as I mentioned in the council ticket, the technology stack
> > does not sound very appealing for someone that wishes to learn new
> > skills or develop existing one which is one of the main factor for
> > people to dedicate time to help maintain a Opens Source project.
> >
> > All that to say that I think that for your FAD you should focus on
> > adding new feature, I would choose maybe 1 or 2 features that are
> > really longed for and try to break them down in smaller items so that
> > you have kind of plan to develop them.
> >

> I agree.
>
> > You could write something like that
> >
> > Technical work breakdow :
> >
> > # Development Environment setup
> >
> > ## Create container environment to run application locally
> > (application, database, etc ..)
> > ## Document how to use the container base development environment
> > ## Add basic test framework and make it possible to run test in the
> > container environment
> > ## Add code linting, code formatting checks, etc ...
> > ## Configure Travis CI or CentOS CI to run tests and checks
> >

> I think this is achievable for a hackfest. In #fedora-badges, Sayan and
> I were discussing this. Vagrant is set up already for Tahrir. I am
> curious of the value in migrating to a container-based environment from
> Vagrant.
>
> If migrating to a container environment from Vagrant offered benefits to
> how Badges is deployed (in addition to lower overhead for a dev
> environment), I think it would be worthwhile?

If we already have a working vagrant setup, I  don't think investing
in creating a container environment is needed. I think it is better to
keep one method to setup the development environment that way you have
more chance to keep it working and up to date

> > # Feature Development
> >
> > ## Implement ticket number X using Test Driven Development
> > ### Create new page template
> > ### Create new HTTP enpoint to serve the new page template
> >
> > ## Implement ticket number XX using Test Driven Development
> > ### Investigate and document how YYY feature works
> > ### Add new feature to YYY
> >
> > Using TDD is a nice way to start adding test to the application, you
> > also imaging doing some pair programming if that work well during the
> > FAD that can be a nice way to on-board new contributor inviting them
> > to a pair-programming TDD session.
> >

> This approach makes sense too. Some of the work we want to do is to
> identify and prioritize which features to focus on.

I think this would be good to be done before the Hackfest, if you can
identify 2 features in the next few days, then we can the use the time
we have until the Hackfest to break these features down in smaller
tasks and agree on how do we consider a feature complete. Then you
could organize the Hackfest like a mini sprint :-)

Every year the infrastructure team holds an Hackfest in Spring, Randy
(bolwofeggs) suggested that it might be a good idea to spend this
Hackfest on badges this year. What do you think about that ?