Re: MirrorManager changes - report_mirror

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 11:42:02AM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> AR> I would like to ignore report_mirror results for non-private mirrors
> AR> in the future.
>
> I don't really see why this would have to be done globally unless we're
> just going to abandon the concept of reporting for public mirrors.  Do
> you have an issue with quick-fedora-mirror checkins as well or just ones
> from report_mirror?  Can I have quick-fedora-mirror provide additional
> data so that you can distinguish it from report_mirror?

The problem is that people are reporting different things than they
have. Sometimes they are reporting from different machines than the ones
we scan. Sometimes it is some kind of cluster which is out of sync.

This has nothing to do with report_mirror or quick-fedora-mirror.

> And if checkins are ignored, then will mirrormanager have to wait until
> the next crawl before it knows that my mirrors have new content (even
> though that happens within a few minutes after the content is available)?

Which is not really a problem for most cases, as we are re-directing to
older mirrors anyway. That works as most of the times we are referencing
up to three repomd.xml files in the metalink.

> AR> For private mirrors report_mirror is the only way to
> AR> know which content it has, for public mirrors it is not really
> AR> necessary as the mirrors are crawled anyway and report_mirror does
> AR> not contain enough information anyway right now.
>
> Well, what information do you need?

Everything the crawler has. I really like the idea behind report_mirror
but is does not work with what we have right now. The crawler is anyway
the instance which decides about the actual state of a mirror and right
now report_mirror is the main problem I am seeing with broken mirrors.

		Adrian