Re: Public facing space for Anaconda CI logs

On Thu, 2018-06-21 at 08:36 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On 06/20/2018 06:15 AM, Martin Kolman wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I would like to ask if it would be possible to allocate some storage
> > space that would be publically available (eq. fedorapeople.org,
> > or similar) we could use store logs from our CI so that external
> > contributors can access them.
>
> Sure, it should be.
Nice! Thanks in advance! :)

> > Why is this needed ?
> > Our CI runs in internal vm hosts and internal open stack, both if which
> > is not accessbile from the public internet, has no public IP or domain.
> > At the same time we would like the make te test results available,
> > so that for example an external contributor can see the results of tests we
> > run on their pull request.
> >
> > What tests does the Anaconda CI run ?
> > - unit tests & Pylint we run on all pull requests for Anaconda and related projects
> > - periodically run kickstart tests[0], a battery of 130+ integration test, where each test is basically
> >   a full kickstart-configured installation run
> >
> > What kind of environment would be needed ?
> > Basically just a simple file/static html storage would be needed, where we can SCP the log files to.
> > The general idea is that tests results would be uploaded to this space whem the respective
> > tests finish & there would a periodic cleanup task that would keep last N logs & remove old logs.
> >

> > What ammount of storage space would be needed for this ?
> > While the unit tests & pylint runs we do on Pull requests don't produce that much data,
> > the kickstart test suite is in a different class.
> >
> > Each of the 130+ tests is a full installation run, which produces a sizeable ammount of data
> > as we gather a substantial ammount of logs from each test (anaconda logs, dnf logs, lvm & storage logs).
> > This data is important to debug all the various issues that can happen in what is essentially a full
> > instrumented installation run.
> >
> > Our measurements have shown that each full kickstart test run (~130 tests) produces ~800 MB of logs. Therefore
> > we would like to request 16 GB of space to be available so that we can store ~10 last tests results from kickstart
> > test,
> > a reasonable number of PR test results & have some room to spare.
> >
> > Would this be possible ? Requesting 16 GB might seem like a lot but I'm afraid we can't reasonably reduce the space
> > requirements for logs from kickstart tests runs without at the same time also making test runs harder to debug.
> >
> > Looking for your feedback & don't be afraid to ask any questions about this proposal. :)
>
> Yep. we can do this (at least) two ways:
>
> 1. We can use a fedorapeople group space. Indeed, there is already an
> anaconda space there: https://fedorapeople.org/groups/anaconda/
>
> PROs: already there, has ipv6, anyone in fas group can upload.
> CONS: not backed up or mirrored, not in phx2, so might be slower to
> upload depending on where you are uploading from.
>
> 2. an alt space under dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt
> PROs: is on netapp space so it gets snapshotted and mirrored.
> CONS: no ipv6, needs setup, more restricted what accounts can upload to it.
>
> Would you like to just try the fedorapeople space first? It looks like
> anyone in the 'gitanaconda' group should have write to the
> /project/anaconda/ space there. If you prefer a new group we can set
> [...]
Yeah, that looks good:
- lack of backup/mirroring should not be a problem (the results are more or less
ephemeral anyway & we can easily back them up internally if needed)
- upload speed should not be an issue for the PR test logs & we plan to publish daily logs
from kickstart test runs, so even if there was a ~hour delay for uploding the logs it should not
make much difference for once-a-day run.

Using the existing gitanaconda group should be fine as well, thanks. :)

BTW, how would you recommend to handle the automated log uploads to this space ?

Is there some interface where we can set a SSH public key, so that the test runner
can upload the logs there or something similar ?

A related cron job running somewhere on our side would would SSH in regularly to cleanup
the files to keep only the N remaining results.