Re: Fedora and PDC, road forward

On 06/18/2018 01:25 PM, Aurelien Bompard wrote:
>> I'm a little worried about Django. True, we have to maintain a version
>> for mailman3, but it's rhel7/python3. Is this new app going to use that?
>
> Actually, HyperKitty and Postorius are using Django on Python 2.7. The
> Django version is 1.8 and it's pretty old now.
> I would recommend against starting a new app on Python 2 today and it
> does not look like we have a Python 3 package of Django in EPEL yet.

Yeah, this is the part that worries me... Django 1.8 went out of support
on April 1st (no joke!).

>> Alternately if we use Fedora, we need to adjust to new Django versions
>> pretty often (one problem we already hit with PDC).
>
> Would it make sense to run it in OpenShift? I'd think so. Then we
> could build it with whichever version works, right?

Within limits. It should be a version thats supported and gets at least
security updates. Hopefully the one(s) in Fedora follow this.

>> Since this is just a simple api, could we do something more simple?
>
> The thing is that the Django REST Framework library is really
> wonderful and there is no Flask equivalent that I know of. It would
> save us handling of a lot of corner cases, and it has built-in tools
> for versionning the API and thus preserving API compatibility.
> Authentication is also very flexible, etc. It's nice.
>
> That said, nothing impossible to do in Flask, just longer and possibly
> more error-prone.

Yeah, understood. I'd just like to make sure we have security support
and aren't leaving ourselves exposed. :(

There are a few flask rest frameworks, but I have not much idea how well
they are supported or work.

https://github.com/flask-restful/flask-restful

https://github.com/noirbizarre/flask-restplus

kevin