Librepo/dnf zchunk integration question

Zchunk works by comparing an old version of the file with the one you
want to download, but when dnf refreshes a repository, it downloads the
new file into a temporary directory with no information passed to the
handle about where the old files are.

I've been trying to keep my code changes in libsolv and librepo to make
zchunk integration as universal as possible.  Up until now, I have
managed to do so without changing librepo's API, but I don't see any
way to fix this except to have dnf pass information about the old
directory (or, even better, the cache directory) to the handle, which
will mean an API change.

It would also mean that other utilities would probably need to do the
same.  Is there something I'm missing in dnf's interaction with librepo
that would allow me to work around this, or do I just need to bite the
bullet and propose a librepo API change?

Jonathan