Re: Modularity WG + f2 + Infra

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 11:08:14AM -0400, Randy Barlow wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> At the hackathon we did recently, we talked about the need for one of us
> to attend the Modularity WG meetings so we could be more aware of what
> work is coming our way before it's a surprise, and I volunteered to be
> that person.
>
> For $reasons, today was the first of the WG meetings I was able to
> attend. There were two items of interest:
>

> New service
> ===========
>
> I learned that Factory 2 is developing a new service called Ursa Major.
> I gathered that its mission is to make it so that RPMs that depend on
> modules can get those modules pulled into their buildroot.
>
> Ralph, is the above correct? If so, what time frame do you anticipate us
> needing to get this service deployed to infrastructure?
>

> Meetings
> ========
>
> The modularity WG suggested that it was probably not that beneficial for
> me to attend their meetings as an infra liason, as they are not actually
> particularly familiar with the infrastructure side of things. They

The fact that they are not familiar with Infra seems to me like a very good
reason to be "involved" in their discussions to ensure new things aren't going
to unforeseeably impact us (double negative are hard).

> suggested instead that we interface with Factory 2.

I know that at least Patrick and I have regular meetings with Ralph to discuss
the Factory 2/Infra interactions.
I remember sending a report about such meeting once, I didn't do it much since,
maybe I should start this again and stick with it (we had our latest meeting
just the past Monday so I should just go ahead and send a report for this
discussion).

Overall I am not against this, I just don't want to add more meetings to Ralph's
agenda. So if we change format, then maybe Patrick and I's meetings should be
reconsidered.

> A suggestion was made that perhaps we could have an agenda item on *our*
> meeting, perhaps once a month, where we invite modularity WG and factory
> 2 to talk with us about what is coming our way, or about issues that
> need dealing with. I thought this was a fine suggestion, so I wanted to

This is a good idea with the caveat that Kevin pointed out :)

Pierre