Re: Fedora and PDC

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 11:34 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon
<pingou@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I propose we start the discussion on the list and plan for a meeting sometime
> late next week to discuss it further with the interested parties (please signal
> yourself)

I am reimplementing a small piece of PDC as well, because the RH Ceph
Storage product uses/used PDC's
v1/releases/{release_id}/rpm-mapping/{package}/ endpoint.  I'd be
interested in hearing where Fedora may be heading with their
replacement ideas. Please let me know the time of the meeting :)

Prior to PDC, we had/have another internal solution that used a
PostgreSQL database for what PDC calls rpm-mappings. We thought PDC
would eventually replace this database. With this sytem, it was
impossible to submit changes to the data store unless you were one of
the few people who had rights to submit changes in postgres. Even
reading the data out into something a mere mortal can understand was a
chore.

Obviously there are many orthogonal problems there, and we could solve
them with better APIs, docs, etc and still keep the Postgres backend.
However it does strike me that flat YAML files in Git are an
attractive backing store. It would make make it easier to submit and
approve data changes, because anyone can submit pull requests to the
flat files, and a CI system could test the changes before merging (or
even auto-merge), etc.

- Ken