Re: Fedora and PDC

On 04/20/2018 10:34 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> Good Morning Everyone,
>
> We have been informed thst week at the upstream devs working on the
> product-definition-center (PDC) are moving away from the project and are going
> to leave it without a maintainer. Since we adopted PDC for a variety of data
> flows, this puts us in an awkward position. :(
...snip..

> I propose we start the discussion on the list and plan for a meeting sometime
> late next week to discuss it further with the interested parties (please signal
> yourself)
>

> What do you think?

So, some generic thoughts:

* I kinda don't like the tree of files in git. It would work, but it
seems poor, like we don't know how to use a database. Along with just
strange to work with.

* Right now we have (I think) 3 Django apps... mailman3, pdc and ask. Of
course the people doing the work should choose, but it seems like with
Django there's always a treadmill of keeping it on the new version thats
supported, etc. We ran into this with pdc recently where the version
upstream was using wouldn't work with rhel or fedora django without work.

* If we are going to split out just the things we need, perhaps this
would be a good time to try our hand at microservices? ie, small as we
can make them, run in openshift, deploy quickly/all the time, etc If we
do that we should make sure to gather requirements and only make those
things we need to.

Definitely include me in on the planning... thanks.

kevin