Re: Python 3.6 in EPEL7

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Aurelien Bompard <aurelien@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey folks!
>
> I have a need for Python 3.5+ in EPEL7 (newest versions of Mailman 3 require
> it), so I tried rebuilding the Python 3.6 RPM as a parallel-installable
> package by taking advantage of our %python3_other_* macros. There's a lot of
> packages that need to be built in the right order to get to a full Python
> 3.6 build, and even much more packages that need changes to use those
> macros.
> I finally got to complete the build and its dependencies, and I uploaded the
> packages here:
>
>   https://abompard.fedorapeople.org/python36-epel/
>
> In that directory there's also a "build-order.txt" file that lists which
> packages should be rebuild, in which order, and with which options.
>
> I understand I may not be alone in needing a more recent Python than 3.4 in
> EPEL, that's why I post this message. I have also posted it to epel-devel:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/epel-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/3AZRVCPDDAVEIGRY2F5R6NFKW2Y3VYZ2/
>
> What do you think? Do we want to test and "adopt" these packages with the
> infra tag soonish, or wait for them to land in EPEL7 proper (but I don't
> know if or when that'll happen).

Who is going to support it for CVEs and security issues? There's
python 3.6 in software collections, although I'm not sure they get
used in infra or not, at least it would have support for CVEs though.

[1] https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2017/10/25/announcing-release-software-collections-developer-toolset-new-compilers/