Re: The Future of the Fedora Layered Image Build System's OpenShift Deployment

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 11:27:58AM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 9:09 PM, Adam Miller
> <maxamillion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >     I wanted to bring up the topic of the future of Fedora's Layered
> > Image Build System (FLIBS) as it pertains to OpenShift as a backend
> > technology that FLIBS is built on top of.
> >
> > TL;DR - Does anyone care if we move FLIBS to be run on OpenShift
> > Container Platform instead of OpenShift Origin in the future?
> >
> > OpenShift itself comes in two forms. The first is the upstream
> > OpenShift Origin which is very rapidly releasing which has no official
> > support for older releases (no N-1 support), so it would require a
> > fresh roll out every three months. The second is the Red Hat OpenShift
> > Container Platform which is the productized version based on OpenShift
> > Origin, follows a slower release cadence, and offers longer life
> > support per release than Origin. I would like to note for the sake of
> > posterity for the mailing list thread that both of these are Open
> > Source.
> >
> > I outline these points in order to ask if there is any preference from
> > the Fedora Infrastructure Team on which "edition" of OpenShift that
> > FLIBS is built on top of in the future. I ask this because currently
> > FLIBS is built on OpenShift Origin which has already proven difficult
> > to keep up with latest releases since I'm currently the only one
> > working on FLIBS and it's not the only thing I am actively working on
> > at any one point in time and I would like to move to OpenShift
> > Container Platform in the future.
>
> +1 we use RHEL and other downstream of the community in other places
> within the infrastructure too for various reasons, I think it makes
> perfect sense to move to a platform that has less churn and active
> support so that people, whether it be Infra team or yourself, have
> more time to work on enhancements to the service that sits on top
> rather than just churning to maintain the underlying infrastructure.

And with my manager hat on, +1 here.  Not meaning, "yes, we must do
this."  Rather, as someone who monitors how cycles get spent, I mean
it makes sense as a change that frees up those cycles for more
productive, net-new work.