Re: The Future of the Fedora Layered Image Build System's OpenShift Deployment

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 9:09 PM, Adam Miller
<maxamillion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello all,
>     I wanted to bring up the topic of the future of Fedora's Layered
> Image Build System (FLIBS) as it pertains to OpenShift as a backend
> technology that FLIBS is built on top of.
>
> TL;DR - Does anyone care if we move FLIBS to be run on OpenShift
> Container Platform instead of OpenShift Origin in the future?
>
> OpenShift itself comes in two forms. The first is the upstream
> OpenShift Origin which is very rapidly releasing which has no official
> support for older releases (no N-1 support), so it would require a
> fresh roll out every three months. The second is the Red Hat OpenShift
> Container Platform which is the productized version based on OpenShift
> Origin, follows a slower release cadence, and offers longer life
> support per release than Origin. I would like to note for the sake of
> posterity for the mailing list thread that both of these are Open
> Source.
>
> I outline these points in order to ask if there is any preference from
> the Fedora Infrastructure Team on which "edition" of OpenShift that
> FLIBS is built on top of in the future. I ask this because currently
> FLIBS is built on OpenShift Origin which has already proven difficult
> to keep up with latest releases since I'm currently the only one
> working on FLIBS and it's not the only thing I am actively working on
> at any one point in time and I would like to move to OpenShift
> Container Platform in the future.

+1 we use RHEL and other downstream of the community in other places
within the infrastructure too for various reasons, I think it makes
perfect sense to move to a platform that has less churn and active
support so that people, whether it be Infra team or yourself, have
more time to work on enhancements to the service that sits on top
rather than just churning to maintain the underlying infrastructure.

Peter