Re: waiverdb in os.fedoraproject.org (prod)?

On 05/22/2017 10:38 PM, Dan Callaghan wrote:
> Excerpts from Kevin Fenzi's message of 2017-05-17 14:34 -06:00:
>> Hopefully that cert will happen soon and then the main thing left in
>> my mind is to get apps setup in ansible. ie, ansible creates the
>> project and such so we don't need to do any clicking around or cli
>> stuff. We could probibly use help with that if anyone has used the
>> openshift ansible modules. After that I could see trying to setup
>> waverdb in stg.
>
> So I am very curious about this too, since we will want to use Ansible
> for managing our internal deployment of the apps as well.
>
> Not sure which OpenShift Ansible module you are thinking of -- as far as
> I can see, nobody has actually written such a thing.

Well, finally having had time to look more you are right.

I was thinking there were some modules in openshift-ansible for managing
apps, but there doesn't seem to be.

However, there is: ansible-container that might be something we can
leverage.

> There is https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible but I think that
> is just roles and playbooks for deploying an OpenShift cluster itself
> (not for deploying apps inside the cluster).

Right. Even though it actually says 'manage' it does not (yet?) have any
way to manage apps.

> I found this demo:
> http://servicesblog.redhat.com/2016/08/11/automating-the-provisioning-and-configuration-of-red-hat-mobile-application-platform/
> but they are just invoking the oc command using Ansible's command
> module. That's probably not a *bad* approach, if you just keep some
> OpenShift YAML checked into git alongside the playbooks, and just have
> the playbook do `oc apply -f`, although it doesn't give you any check
> mode or diff or anything nice.
>
> Oh and I discovered there *is* a kubernetes module:
> https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/kubernetes_module.html ...
> but I'm not sure how compatible that would be with OpenShift?

Yeah.

I think our best bet is to try and come up with some workflow around
ansible-container. It currently also uses the oc commands in the end,
but they are trying to move to the REST API from what I understand.

I am not sure at all what this workflow might be, going to take more
looking into it before I could even propose something. It looks like
ansible-container builds images locally, which I'd like to avoid. They
should be built in the openshift pipeline.

Or if anyone sees any better ideas I am open to them.

I do want to avoid clicky or cli deployments that need a human to
remember everything they clicked or typed. If we have to redeploy
entirely, we should be able to do so from ansible.

Perhaps internal openshift folks have some thoughts here...

kevin