Re: Best practice for 3rd party playbook

On Fri, 2017-03-17 at 09:47 +0100, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> Hi,
> I am in process in writing playbook for retrace.fedoraproject.org
>
> ABRT team created:
> https://github.com/abrt/ansible-role-retrace-server
>
> Which we can use. I just wonder what is best practise for using such 3rd party roles?
> Should I just copy it into our ansible.git? Or should I use ansible-galaxy command to sync it? Manually? Or when the
> playbook is run?

We ran into this a while back with the openshift ansible stuff.

I guess the answer is 'it depends'.

If it's pretty small and can be made pretty close to our existing
conventions, I'd say just copy it in and try and keep the external and
internal ones in sync.

If it's more complex or written in a incompatible way or changes too
much, then we could do what we did with osbs, which is to make a host,
something like: retrace-control and in our ansible playbooks we go to
that host and pull the role/setup and run it from there on the retrace
machines.

This role seems pretty small to me and hopefully won't change too much,
so hopefully we can just do the first of these. ;)

Thoughts?

kevin