Re: Dreams and Plans and Ideas for 2017

On Wed, Jan 04, 2017 at 10:51:08AM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Greetings and happy new year to everyone.
>
> I'd like to divide this email up into 2 parts:
>
> Firstly, what all do we want to get done in the next 2 months?
> The end of Feb is the end of the Red Hat Fiscal year and many of us
> have goals tied to that timeframe. :)
>
> For myself:
>
> * Finish migrating things off fedorahosted so we can retire it at the
>   end of Feb. I need to make a survey of how many things are left, etc.
>
> * Get mirrorlist containers all deployed and running (With a bunch of
>   help from Patrick). We have it working in staging, just need to get
>   things setup to build using OSBS and deploy in production. This
>   should allow us to avoid outages even more from mirrorlists service.
>
> * Get database replication setup finished in stg and hopefully setup in
>   production. We still need to sort out how to get db schema upgrades
>   fully working for people, but otherwise hopefully this should allow
>   us much less scheduled outages. I am waiting on BDR 2.0 to be
>   released (with postgresql 9.6 support, so this might slip out some).
>
> * Get s390 merged into the main/primary koji. This is waiting on
>   firewall/networking changes.
>
> What things are others trying to get done? I know there was a plan for
> fas3, I know Ricky is working on modernpaste replacing sticky-notes,
> what else is on the short term timeline?
>
> Secondly, there's the rest of the year. It's not too early to dream
> about what we want to try and get done in the coming year. :)
>
> For myself:
>
> * I'd like to try and move askbot to current upstream code. This likely
>   will require us to try and move it to python3 and django1.8. I am
>   pretty sure this will require some python savvy coding action. :)
>
> * I'd love to try and do a FAD sometime this coming year if we can
>   identify something that we could tackle and solve/complete over a few
>   days.
>
> * I'd like to do some more apprentice work days to get apprentices more
>   involved. We should try and brainstorm some things we could do on
>   such work days.
>
> * I'm sure to think of more things as time goes on. ;)
>
> What does everyone else have on their radar?

Just FYI, we talked about it briefly in the infra meeting on Thursday:
https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/teams/infrastructure/infrastructure.2017-01-05-18.00.html

.. but we're going to have a number of Modularity and "Factory 2.0"
tasks to take up in the F27 timeframe.  Pierre and I (and anyone else
who's around) are going to take it up in the hallway track at Devconf
to see if we can list the things that need to be done.  Some ideas off
the top include:

- Adjusting pkgdb to allow for flexible per-component branching.
- Adjusting bodhi to allow containers and modules to pass through the
  karma/update system.
- Tooling on top of bugzilla to automatically triage bug reports into
  the right module/component combination.