Re: Access to various bits of Fedora infra over long distance

On 20 December 2016 at 21:14, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just thought I'd give some feedback after using Fedora infra over a
> long distance from the data centre.
>
> I'm on the NBN Sky muster satellite [1] from Aus (it's dual stack
> v4/v6 for reference too). Most services are quite usable (koji/wiki is
> fine) but there are some that just don't load at all. bodhi/pkgdb just
> eventually time out, pagure is variable, sometimes is loads some times
> not at all, sometimes I get somewhere in between.
>
> Also I've found that when not on the Telstra network (incumbent telso)
> that you often don't get mirrors at all so adding &country=global to
> the metalink is critical if you actually want to be able to get
> packages/updates at all.
>
> If you want me to do any other testing let me know. Just thought I'd
> give some feedback from a contributor PoV on the other side of the
> world from the core infra.

Thanks for this data. We have gotten reports of similar behaviour for
a while but never enough data to see why it is broken. The main issue
is that we don't have any mirrors in the eastern pacific region. We
haven't had any luck on getting any either over the years :/. I am not
sure how to fix this but it helps that we can at least point out some
of the reasons it could be a problem.

> [1] http://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/information-for-home/satellite.html

Stephen J Smoogen.