Re: The Future of Ask Fedora (potentially: hosted by upstream)

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 02:54:00PM -0500, Justin W. Flory wrote:
> One of the things I've wished we could have done is integrate into
> the StackExchange network of Q&A sites. The benefits of using this
> service is that we have also have a much larger community who has
> access to the site and services. These may be people who maybe don't
> have Fedora FAS accounts, but have been using Fedora for years or
> are some of the top gurus on other Q&A sites like SuperUser, Unix
> StackExchange, and ServerFault.

For what it's worth, this is the second-highest upvoted suggestion on the
meta question I asked on the site. See
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/95681/ask-fedora-is-it-working-and-whats-the-future/?answer=95705#post-id-95705

> I think if the big question becomes *what to do with Ask Fedora*, we
> should give special consideration to choosing a route forward that
> will provide the best user experience for people who are (1) asking
> questions, and (2) answering the questions too. I'm not sure of the
> process to become integrated with the StackExchange network is like,
> but I think this an option we should keep on the table for
> consideration.

I'm willing to consider. They aren't an open source company, but
they're awesome about open _content_.

However, the process for becoming a unique Stack Exchange site does not
seem likely to succeed. There was an attempt a few years ago, and it
fell flat. Ask Ubuntu is basically grandfathered in from a long time
ago, and I'm not sure that would succeed now either. That would leave
us pointing to the Fedora tag on Unix & Linux Stack Exchange:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/fedora?sort=frequent&pageSize=50
which we could certainly do, but we wouldn't really be about to build
our own community around it and we would be subject to what the
community on that site feels is on topic or off.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>