Re: Proposal to mirror Docker images

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016, at 10:49 AM, Colin Walters wrote:

> Related to this, I think it'd be useful to target public IaaS (AWS, GCE, etc.)
> for inside-infra mirrors.  Basically we want Fedora images to hit a S3 bucket in
> the region or equivalent by default for content.  This is how Amazon configures
> Amazon Linux.
>
> It seems like the kind of thing that we could ask Red Hat for sponsorship.

I was doing some S3 stuff the other day, and I noticed that it has a feature:

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/RequesterPaysBuckets.html

So we could look at uploading the content this way. Then, I think anyone
who wants to consume it would "mirror" it privately into their own
buckets, without paying the outbound network traffic costs.

Alternatively, they could set up the client program to provide
the requisite auth headers, but that seems likely harder.  A middle
ground here would be setting up a proxy that does the auth.

I haven't tested this, but it's something to potentially look at.