Re: Why is RedHat using Piwik to track contributors?

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 12:02:22PM -0000, Jean-Baptiste Holcroft wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I notice this piwik instance is used on Zanata :
> https://engstats.redhat.com/piwik/piwik.js
>
> I do not understand the aim of this, if gather a few user statistics on public website is fine to me (we need to mesure the impact of widespread communication), I am not confortable by using it on contributor tools.
>
> Redhat already have a lot of tracking of public activity of what we do (it's open and we use the same login everywhere), why would you like to go deeper in who we are ?
>
> Is it an exception to be fixed or something you do on other contributors tools ?

These are interesting question, but if I recall correctly we (fedora) do not
host nor maintain Zanata, so unfortunately, we cannot answer them.

Maybe you could ask the people who are maintaining it?
If you do not have a contact email, we may be able to look for a point of
contact for you to ask these questions.

Fedora infra has its own piwik instance on which some of our apps are, but I do
not believe they track any user's activity, more provide some statistics on
usage. Some people might be better placed than I am to comment on the questions
piwik answers in our infra.

Hope this helps,
Pierre