Re: Freeze Break Request (Retroactive): Adding new staging database host for testing in qa

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 17:25:38 +0200
Tim Flink <tflink@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 09:10:48 -0600
> Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 16:56:20 +0200
> > Tim Flink <tflink@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > I completely forgot that we were in Alpha freeze earlier today and
> > > made some changes without requesting a freeze break. The changes
> > > shouldn't impact production in any meaningful way but I can back
> > > all the changes out if need be.
> > >
> > > In summary, I did the following:
> > >  - created new dns entries for db-qa-stg01.qa
> > >  - added a new db-qa-stg01.qa host to inventory
> > >  - changed the postgres_server role to support dnf for f22+
> > >  - added the new db-qa-stg01.qa host to the postgres-server
> > > playbook
> > >
> > > I've attached a diff to this email for review.
> >
> > Most of that doesn't affect prod, but it will need a master run with
> > iptables tag to update the staging blocking in prod phx2 hosts. ;)
> >
> > +1 here in any case, and I can run the iptables run if we get more
> > +1s
>
> That's not necessary in my mind. We primarially created the host to
> see if a performance issue we were seeing in postgres was fixed in
> 9.5.
>
> Now that the tests are done, it's not a problem to wait until after
> freeze is over before we start using it for other things.

Well, I want to do that, because without us running iptables to update
those hosts, my daily check/diff report will have a change on every
single .phx2.fedoraproject.org host, making it very hard to see
changes. ;(

Down the road, we should fix this by moving all the stg hosts to a
known subnet so we can just use that, but until then, we have this
chicken and egg issue. ;(

kevin