Re: Freeze break request: API break request: FAS to not return inactive accounts

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 14:43:57 +0000
Patrick Uiterwijk <puiterwijk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since we currently have to deal with a lot of spam accounts, it would
> be very useful for our
> systems, like zodbot and FMN, to not retrieve all of those accounts
> from FAS.

So, this is just to improve load time? Or memory? Or both?

> I have just merged a patch for FAS2 to not return inactive accounts by
> default, and I would
> like +1s to push this to production.
>
> The patch is at https://github.com/fedora-infra/fas/pull/161.
>
> Do note that this patch does break the FAS2 API in that it suddenly
> stops returning inactive users.
> Please take this into consideration when sending a +1/-1.

I'm a bit worried this will cause some confusion as someone will look
and not see an account and try and sign up with it, etc.

And I know it's going to cause problems with support in #fedora-admin.
The first thing we do when someone comes in with an account problem is
use zodbot to search for them. If they don't show up because they are
inactive it's going to confuse everyone.

So I am -1 to this for now, but I guess I could be convinced.

kevin