Re: Support levels, Support expectations, RFRs and such

On 13/11/15 18:50, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I've been meaning to send this out for a while, but keep getting
> sidetracked, so today I decided to sit down and get it sent. ;)
>
> Right now, we have a process for new things that come into Fedora
> Infrastructure called Request For Resources. This was a process
> started long long ago, and revamped a few years ago. The idea of
> this process was that it would involve existing infrastructure
> folks (you MUST get a sponsor from sysadmin-main for any new RFR),
> that it would ensure things like enough people know how the service
> works that we can maintain it, that it's monitored, etc. Ie,
> supported by Fedora Infrastructure.
>
> This has I think worked pretty well in the past, but we are
> running into a number of things in the last few years that this
> process just doesn't work right with.
>
> I don't want to suggest yet any solution to this beyond adjusting
> our RFR process, but I will start the discussion with some
> questions:
>
> * In the past we pretty much had a binary support status: supported
> or not supported. We kind of added a middle area with jenkins:
> supported, but you shouldn't depend on it, we will fix it when we
> like. Should we have different support levels? How can we set
> users expectation for what level the thing they care about is in?
>
> * Should there be some requirements/expectations for a thing having
> a fedoraproject.org dns entry? ie, there have been people who have
> approched us for that for applications that they run, etc. How can
> we explain to users when something like that is down who to
> contact?

Debian is using debian.net for self-supported services and debian.org
for officially supported services:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDotNet

Some really interesting stuff is run that way, e.g. mentors.debian.net

Any developer can request a subdomain of debian.net for a project and
set the DNS entry to point to their own infrastructure.

It can be awkward for services that need to use certificates or
services based on mail addresses but otherwise it is very good for
distributing the workload.