Re: ask fedora -- closing questions because they're answered?

On 07/20/2014 06:55 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> I'm asking this here for lack of a "meta" site for Ask Fedora. :)

Usually, we ask questions and tag them with "meta" tag. Yes, there is no
separate site for Ask Fedora meta, yet.
(https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/questions/scope:all/sort:activity-desc/tags:meta/page:1/)

> I recently came across this:
>
> https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/50626/when-will-dnf-fully-be-ported-to-fedora/
>
> I'm a bit perplexed by the close reason -- "the question is answered, right
> answer was accepted". Whatever the reason, this shows up in the list of
> questions with [closed] by the title (in addition to the green checkmark
> indicating that an answer was accepted).
>
> Why would we want to do this? Isn't the point to build up a body of
> questions and answers?

There is already a question similar to this
(https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/9741/close-a-question-when-answer-is-accepted-why/)
but it has no accepted answer :)

> I think closing should be reserved for _problematic_ questions -- off topic,
> spam, argumentative, etc. But maybe I'm not getting something here. Does
> closing questions for being successful have a benefit I'm missing?

Yes, I agree on that and mostly because an answer right now (or an
answer for Fedora 20) maybe will not be valid for Fedora 21 or 22..etc.
A user should be able to add a new answer, for instance, about Fedora
22, without the need to open (and answer) a new question about the same
problem, but for different release.

I have closed some questions with this reason too, but mostly because,
newcomers where they don't know how to use Ask, they are adding new
answers, such as "I have the same problem, please help" ...etc, or
answers that should be comments.

But really, I agree on removal of this closing reason.

--
fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Nickth