Re: mailman3 / hyperkitty planning

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 17:43:44 +0200
Aurélien Bompard <gauret@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > - We now have a mailman01.stg instance. It's setup to use yum-cron
> > and apply security updates every night (we should confirm it's
> > working as we want it to tho)
>
> It doesn't look like I can access it, I probably need to go through
> lockbox, which I haven't needed to do before, so I probably don't have
> the rights, and I don't know the procedure. Could you point me to a
> SOP describing what lockbox is used for, what I can do with it, etc?
> I didn't find it in the SOPs wiki page.
> Also, how can I get to the private ansible repo and the host
> inventory? I'll make the configuration for this server in ansible.

Catch me on IRC and we can sort out what you need. ;)

> > - We need mailman3 / hyperkitty rpms added to infra repo.
>
> I need to rebuild the HK rpms and change the MM3 RPM to make it not
> replace the current mailman RPM we have.

ok.

> > - Next we need to test importing things. I can get copies of the
> >   existing lists Mailboxes to import with.
>
> Yes please! If you don't want to do the copying please just point me
> to their current location.

Once you have access to the new instance, you should also have access
to the existing mailman instance, so I can tell you where the files
are there. Or I can copy them somewhere for you, etc.

> > - Are we going to need to keep the old archives online for people
> >   searching history/google? Or is there any way to redirect them?
>
> There is a way to redirect the old URL scheme to the new one but it's
> far from perfect (it uses the email import order which can be very
> flawed with duplicate emails). I'd rather keep the old ones.

ok. It's a pretty big pile of stuff, but aside from disk I bet it won't
take much resources.

> > - Should we do a seperate db for this in production? It's unclear
> > to me how much in the way of resources the db side will take.
>
> I admit it's still rather unclear to me. I am storing a full copy of
> each message in the DB, but I'm not sure it's even mandatory (it's
> used very rarely) and if it's a problem I could add a config switch
> to prefer a filesystem-based storage (maildir).

Yeah, we may well have to just wait and see how it looks after we do
some imports. If the stg db has problems thats a good indicator. :)

> > - Currently lists are at osu and don't go via proxies, but if we
> > have it at phx2 we could just use the proxies and get caching, etc
> > as well. Or is there a reason not to?
>
> I don't see what problems caching could pose.
>
> Happy to see this moving forward! Cheers!

Me too. ;) Lets keep it moving along.

kevin