Re: cloud disk benchmarks

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When running a ftbfs run on both euca and openstack I started to see some
> pretty big differences in performance. CPU and mem were all the same or
> close enough so I decided to look at disk performance.
>
> euca is backed by local disks in a raid/lvm layout and/or exported via iscsi
> through the Storage Controller.
>
> openstack is using a replicated/distributed gluster for all disk back ends -
> including ephemeral (local) and volume-backed (iscsi)
>
> Results are here and are kinda staggering:
>
> http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/misc/cloudbench.txt
>

> in short - gluster performance really bogs us down for building in the cloud
> instances.
>
> thoughts on improving that performance or do we simply want to have certain
> workloads in euca specifically b/c the disks are more disposable and/or
> faster?
>
> -sv

Gluster currently doesn't proclaim running VM images as one of its
strong points, although many do use it in that capacity. A few months
back a well funded group attempted to use Gluster as storage for their
CloudStack instance and were unable to tune performance to acceptable
levels. In the end they abandoned their gluster efforts and moved to
ceph for their distributed storage. That said, I wouldn't expect any
distributed storage solution to get close to DAS speed. If you are
willing to live with the downsides of DAS, it is almost always going
to be faster.

--David