Re: kickstarts, installs and root ssh keys

On 10 April 2012 15:48, Tristan Santore
<tristan.santore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/04/12 22:11, seth vidal wrote:
>>

> I must say, ansible does look interesting. Just the whole sshd thing
> kinda is a put off. But I will look into this a bit more the next days.
> But it does most certainly sound like a good effort (the start of).
>
> And Michael is once again involved in a very interesting project, that
> should turn out to be very useful indeed.

Coming from the old school.. I had this initial reaction.. I am
letting a root login from a system on the internet.. but then I
realized that in reality this does not seem any less secure than the
puppet or similar setups. If the ssh key is "gotten" it is no less a
problem than if the puppet ssl keys are gotten, and possibly less
likely to be auditable.

I think in this case a look at why you feel uncomfortable needs to be
written out a bit more to make sure if it is a "well we didn't think
of that scenario" or a "well for 10+ years I have made sure ssh wasn't
root loggable or autopassworded in and this makes me feel icky." type
feeling.

> Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tristan
>
> --
> Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
> TS4523-RIPE
> Network and Infrastructure Operations
> InterNexusConnect
> Mobile +44-78-55069812
> Tristan.Santore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Former Thawte Notary
> (Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
> and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)
>
> For Fedora related issues, please email me at:
> TSantore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."  —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd