Re: kickstarts, installs and root ssh keys

On 10/04/12 22:11, seth vidal wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  Need some feedback. Since I've been playing with/working on
> ansible(http://ansible.github.com) it has raised some questions as to
> what we will allow/not allow for setting up hosts.
>
> Here's what I'd like to do:
>
> 1. allow lockbox01-only and ssh-key-only access, as root, via ssh to
> our systems. This would be an ssh key only on lockbox and owned by root
> (or possibly by sysadmin-main or other localgroup - like the private
> git repo).
>
> 2. have the root authorized_keys be available from
> infrastructure.fedoraproject.org via http (restricted to the hosts we
> allow, of course)
>
> 3. setup our kickstart %post to suck down these keys.
>
> This will enable me to streamline our installation process
> considerably. Right now there are a number of manual steps in our
> reinstall process. These manual steps are.... errorprone. I'd like to
> eliminate them.
>

> Right now we expose access to our systems via func - which is a daemon
> running as root which auth's using the puppet ssl cert/keys from
> lockbox01. The change to allowing ssh-in as root is not a considerably
> larger attack surface. The only exception is that ssh is available to
> various places for some of our systems, while func's ports are not.
>

> I'd like to hear some thoughts on making this change. If no one objects
> then I'll make this happen.
> thanks,
>
> -sv
I must say, ansible does look interesting. Just the whole sshd thing
kinda is a put off. But I will look into this a bit more the next days.
But it does most certainly sound like a good effort (the start of).

And Michael is once again involved in a very interesting project, that
should turn out to be very useful indeed.

Regards,

Tristan

--
Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx