Re: GSoC idea to setup Gitlab for Fedora Hosted

On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:32:54 +0200
Stas Sușcov <stas@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> În data de Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:31:51 +0200, Jeffrey S. Haemer
> <jeffrey.haemer@xxxxxxxxx> a scris:
>
> > Stas,
> >
> > Looks like fun.  Fedora Hosted supports a variety of SCM tools, not
> > just git.  Is there a way to fit Gitlab in with that?
> >

> I'm afraid in case of other SCM systems we are limited to Git right
> now, and in future only to distributed systems.
> It also means that Gitlab will have to be seriously patched[1] to
> work with systems like mercurial or bzr.
>
> Regarding subversion, I believe we can offer support for that
> through git-svn, basically svn repositories won't be touched, but
> mirrored to keep svn users inside gitlab.
> I've been using svn2git[2] more or less successfully to mirror some
> svn projects on github.

1. I would strongly discourage you from pursuing hacks like git-svn for
this sort of thing. It's just going to end up with a never-ending
stream of heisenbugs.

2. There is no requirement for anything to provide for all the scm's in
the same interface.

-sv