Re: GSoC idea to setup Gitlab for Fedora Hosted, looking for mentors

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:42:59 +0200
Stas Sușcov <stas@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm not sure I'm allowed to write to this list for GSoC questions,
> but it looks like most of the people interested in this application
> can be found only here, so I took a chance.

Sure. The list is open to all. ;)

> I'm a student from Romania, looking to hack some Ruby code during
> this summer
> and I found Fedora as one of the not so many organizations offering
> this opportunity.
>
> I read the whole thread, and I found suggestions and conditions you
> need from a student, pleasant for myself.
>
> I know Ruby (among other programming languages) and I know
> sysadmining. Previously I had 2 successful GSoC editions with
> WordPress Foundation, and my first year project latest commit dates
> March 14th, this year.
>
> The only problem I can for-see, is that I had and still maintain
> deep involvement in Ubuntu community (I'm the infrastructure admin
> for ubuntu-ro).
> I don't know if this is an issue or not, but I really hope this wont
> affect in any way our relationship (here in Romania, we do Barcamps
> every year with fedora-ro, with beer, hiking and lots of pics, thx to
> @nicubunu http://camp.softwareliber.ro/2011/poze ). :)

I see no problem with being in a number of communities.
As long as you have time/energy to do so, more power to you. ;)

> If all this stuff sounds interesting, I would be happy to present a
> draft on how we could solve FedoraHosted transition to Gitlab, and
> ensure its well maintained from now on.
>
> Lately I started to hang on
> #fedora-summer-coding|#jbosstesting@freenode, but I'm not sure whom I
> should query. I can't see Dan either online.
>
> I also have a Github account: https://github.com/stas
> and a resume: http://stas.github.com/resume.html
>
> Thanks in advance for reading this, and I'm looking forward for your
> reply.

Well, the big hurdles with this project were mentioned in the previous
thread. To my mind the first big problem is getting mod_passenger
packaged, and thats something that you may not have much control over.
(It will be done when it's done).

Next would be making sure that there's a group of people who know how
to manage/maintain/operate things so that after the summer is over
there's not a abandonded proof of concept no one can use. ;)

kevin