Re: Retiring of blogs.fedoraproject.org

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 13:10:19 -0400
> Jayson Rowe <rowe.jayson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Greetings!
>
> Welcome.
>
>> I saw in the Fedora Weekly News today that there were issues with
>> finding folks to help maintain the Fedora Blogs. I'm a System and
>> Network Administrator for a software company by trade, and I would be
>> more than happy to volunteer my time in any way help is needed (for
>> that project or others).
>
> The thought is appreciated, but I'm not sure that would be sufficient
> to keep blogs.fedoraproject.org going. The thing is that there is just
> not much advantage in us running our own blogs, unless we have missed
> something. It would be like wordpress.com making their own Linux
> distribution. Wouldn't they want to leave that to projects that have
> that as their focus?

I can admit that in this case there are other organizations that
mostly share Fedora values that are available to use but on the other
hand there is a reason that almost half of the Fedora syndicated blogs
are currently hosted by Fedora infrastructure. That number I am sure
would continue to grow over time to an even higher percentage and is
currently biased in a low direction by the existence of many bloggers
who already had things in place prior to the existence of blogs.fp.o.

Why would a Fedora contributor prefer to choose blogs.fp.o?

* They don't already blog and only intend to blog about Fedora related
business so blogs.fp.o seems a natural place.

* They are somewhat reluctant to blog but are encouraged to by the
Fedora Project and that encouragement is an easier sell when the
Fedora Project provides the contributors with the tools to do what the
project is requesting.

* They don't want 12 accounts with 12 different organizations to
contribute to the Fedora Project when one account with Fedora can do
the job.

Outsourcing services can be attractive in ways, but there is often a
cost paid by the user in the end. It seems to normally be a win from
the perspective of the outsourcer but not such a win from the
perspective of those who get passed off to be someone else's problem.

Sorry to vent a little about this here but I really think blogs.fp.o
has more value than it is being given credit for and I'm sad to see it
being retired. (And I accept that even if it was given the credit I
think it deserves the decision to retire it would probably not
change.)

John