Re: hosting git conversion of Fedora CVS tree on fedora infrastructure?

Jim Meyering wrote:
Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jim Meyering wrote:
I consider the automated cvs-to-git mirroring to be the first step
in any conversion proposal:

First, give people an idea of what they can expect in a git-based dVCS,
without requiring any change.  It lets people continue to use the tools
they're familiar with, and allows the better parts of a dVCS to begin
to show up the radar of those who haven't yet had time to explore them.
I don't really buy this because it's a one-way transaction.  The
people that need to be convinced that there's value in switching to
git vs bzr vs hg vs svn also have commit rights to the main
repository.  For a demo to reach this audience you need to get them
the ability to work from this tree.  Which means they need to be able
to checkout, checkin, tag, and request builds from it.

Hi Toshio,

[didn't we talk at a Mexican place after the fudcon in Boston?]

[Yeah, I think we did :-) ]

Using such a mirror need not be a one-way transaction.
Obviously, it'd be far less useful if there were such a limitation.

When I do serious work against an upstream CVS repository, I arrange to
mirror the CVS repo to git, and do all of my work in git, committing
changes on private git branches.  Then, I can easily rebase each of
those branches (sort of like cvs update), to synchronize with newer
upstream changes on the parent branch.[*]  When I want to commit to
cvs, it's easy to automate using git-cvsexportcommit.  While this MO is
not as comfortable as working in a git-only environment, it does help
give you a feel for what it'd be like, and *I* certainly appreciate it.
Of course, this can't help for tag/release-related operations, but it's
a good start for the rest.

That sounds better. Where does all this get setup? On the user's machine or the server? I still don't know if you'll get many developers to try it since you still have to keep both the git and cvs tree so they can make tag and make build. git can't push tags back to cvs?

Even with this slightly-contorted routine, I've appreciated using
git: for example, while using conventional diff, patch, and cvs,
it's easy to forget to "cvs add" a new file that was added by a patch.
It's also easy to forget to apply "chmod a+x..." to a script just added
by a patch.  But in git, that doesn't happen as much, because the tools
do more of the work for you.  And git-cvsexportcommit takes care of the
details of making sure everything in a git change set makes it back
into a cvs "commit".

Git does that when you apply a patch? Or only when you apply a patch that was generated via git? (I tried git apply foo.patch but that didn't seem to have the behaviour you mention.)

-Toshio