Re: hosting git conversion of Fedora CVS tree on fedora infrastructure?

On 11/20/07, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Karsten Wade wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 12:01 +0100, Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
> >
> >> The git tree is currently a read-only (slave) version of the CVS
> >> tree, and I expect it to stay that way for some time.  But even though
> >> Fedora isn't switching VCSes at this point, I think it would still
> >> make sense to have git/hg/random-other-VCS conversions of the Fedora
> >> CVS tree publically available ...
> >
> > +1 to the general idea.
> >
> > Are you interested in building and maintaining the solution in Fedora
> > Infrastructure?  Just asking as a bystander ... :)
>
> What problem are we trying to solve by doing this

I see it as a POC for a future VCS alternative. Now that Koji is
getting some support for building from a VCS other than CVS I we are
getting to the point where people can actually try something other
than CVS for maintaining packages, rather than just talk about it.

> or what added
> functionality will we get that people can't get by just downloading a
> snapshot and importing it into git themselves?

The structure and the size of the package CVS makes  it difficult for
someone to casually make their own git mirror.

Jeff