Re: The asterisk paradox

Jonathan Steffan wrote:
On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 11:30 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
There was some discussion at the last meeting about how to use asterisk in the future for meetings or even if we should. This has brought up an interesting problem:

Early adoption of asterisk is slow because not everyone has the equipment to use it. People don't feel compelled to get the equipment because adoption is slow.

So what do we do about it? I feel very strongly asterisk as a medium is much more efficient to use then IRC and helps bring the team together to work as a more cohesive unit. I also believe it will do the same for other groups. But we cannot do the meetings in asterisk at this time because it raises the barrier to entry by too much and provides no meeting logs. So I'd like to propose the following possible solutions.

1) Meet 15 minutes before or after the meeting for a supplemental-meeting in asterisk to shake out some things. Then continue with the meeting in IRC as normal. 2) Meetings in IRC are generally very slow, it might be worth it to do the meetings as normal but also have people log in to asterisk to bs and generally just chat, get to know each other a bit better. 3) Do as we did last week, have people who can't talk join the conference anyway and ask questions in the chat room while having someone transcribe and provide minutes.

+1
Jonathan, IIRC you were one of the team members that didn't have a microphone. How did that work for you?

   -Mike