Re: Streamlining Account Signup Process

Ray Van Dolson wrote:
This question stems from a post on the CentOS mailing list -- a fellow
wanted to add a couple items to the EPEL Wishlist but wasn't sure how.

I suggested he get a Wiki account and add it himself (probably should
have just added it for him, but...).  In any case, here's his rant:

  http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2007-June/083203.html

I think I agree with him in spirit that getting a Wiki / FAS account
set up is a bit of a daunting process.

I pointed him here:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/WikiEditing#head-3d4b8815f923a8f137fb466901ca2cf1b567cf0f

Which has links pointing to other lists of tasks to do -- it can get
rather spaghetti like, especially when you don't understand why you're
generating all these SSH keys and GPG keys, etc :)

FAS2 won't have this requirement for a generic account.
My questions are as follows:

  1. Is this the appropriate list to discuss this issue on?
absolutely.
  2. Do you guys agree that the signup process is overly complex?  Or
     does the process partially serve to ensure that the candidate is
     sufficiently motivated and persistent? :)
It was a legal constraint
  3. If so, can we discuss a way to simplify it?

A simpler wiki setup is actually on its way. quaid, paulobanon: care to comment further?

   -Mike