Re: ticket system comments

Nils Breunese wrote:
seth vidal wrote:

On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 18:40 +0200, Nils Breunese wrote:
seth vidal wrote:

I was going to suggest we make a mailing list:
admin-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - maybe alias it to something simple.
When messages come in we do the following:

1. see if we know how to solve it and have time to do it immediately
2. If you don't know how to solve it or don't have the time, open a
bugzilla item about it on a product-to-be-created and thrown the
bugzilla entry back to the list and the poster

This way, the simple things that don't really need a ticket don't get
one and the hard things that do need a ticket do get one.

If someone sends a request to that mailinglist, how do we make sure
it gets handled (eventually)? If no one acts, what happens? Is there
someone checking whether everything is either solved directly or made
into a bugzilla entry?

Is there any guarantee of this in the ticketing system we have now?

no.

That's true, but a ticket system will tell you what issues are still unhandled, whereas email does not.

Someone also brought up using a trac instance, it'd be lighter weight then bugzilla and more customizable (for us). It would be far more light weight then OTRS but not as light weight as a mailing list. Here's the pros and cons as I see them:

Mail-List - Cons:
   1) Spam
   2) Difficult to comment on existing threads if not subscribed
   3) Stuff that takes a long time to fix may get lost
   4) Difficult to know who's working on what
Mail-List - Pros:
   1) Very light weight
   2) Hard to completely ignore
   3) No registration required
   4) Almost no administrative overhead

Trac - Cons:
   1) Requires a FAS login
   2) Could just be ignored
   3) Little bit of initial configuration required
Trac - Pros
   1) Ticket ownership is known
   2) Easy to search / filter
   3) Provides milestones/components

I have to say in general I like Trac over a mailing list... but not by much. I'd be curious to see what the others say. Any comments?

   -Mike