Re: Image standards

On 5/22/07, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What I'm saying is that I haven't been able to find anything that claims
there are any current patent problems with jpeg.  Which means that jpeg
is as "patent-free" as png -- ie I can also not find anything which
claims that there's any patent problems with png.

Bringing up a patent that is both expired and ruled invalid by the
patent office and saying that is a reason to avoid a format is just
wrong-headed.  Should we not use SSL and GPG because they use algorithms
which have expired patents?

If you can point to any current claims that the format is patent
encumbered then we have a reason to ban its use.  Otherwise you're just
spreading fear of something that doesn't exist to prevent the use of a
free format.

-Toshio

Perhaps, it's time to ask someone who knows about the law.
Let's ask our Fedora Project Board and its lawyers for better answer.

Max, could you ask the board and its lawyers if JPEG is "patent-free"
format as PNG ?
Also which format is more appropriate to use our Fedora Project website?
We're trying to standardize image format used in Fedora Project cross-wide.
Regards,
--
Thomas Chung