Re: Disk space requirements

Matt Domsch wrote:
On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 12:36:20AM -0400, Matthew Galgoci wrote:
so we're already expecting mirrors to carry ~25GB per arch per release
or thereabouts.

If we continue with 3 arches, 2 releases per year, that's at least 150GB
per year growth.  If we add arches, Unity respins, more CD/DVD objects,
and the like, it'll grow faster.
That's why my eyes popped out of my eye sockets at fudcon. It's irrational
and impractical to keep permuting the distribution. Also, when can previous
releases be removed? That would be nice to know.

I'm in favor of creating an archive.fp.o server to hold the
"historical" releases (e.g. everything no longer supported, so real
soon now, FC5 and earlier) and nuke those from the master.  We could
decide to keep N-3 (e.g. one extra no-longer-supported release on the
master if we wanted to.

IANAL, but the GPL is satisfied as long as we post source for the same
time span as we post the binaries.  The "three year" clause
only kicks in if we don't distribute the source at the same time but
instead give a written offer - which we don't do.
We need to find out what we're expected to keep, if you include our dists + 3 years and koji + backups we're talking about some very serious space. If we don't have to keep it, we shouldn't be. I'll start up a thread on FAB and see if anyone there is more in tune with the GPL.

As for the mirrors, what are they obligated to take and what can they pick?

   -Mike