Re: [Fedora-infrastructure-list] Fedora's FLOSS prociples (was: coverity code checker in Extras)

Axel Thimm wrote:

The kernel-uses-bitkeeper-technology created more noise than it served
good and bitkeeper was closer to open source than coverity while Linus
was less pondering on FLOSS principles than the Fedora goals do, so
projecting that to the future I see endless threads about the
pure-FLOSS Linux using non-FLOSS tools.

There is an argument often brought up in these situations which goes
like "since no FLOSS alternative exists, we need to use that". But the
same is true about ipw* firmwares/closed source daemons, closed source
3D graphics and so on. There is even discussion of not allowing
external kernel modules, even fully FLOSSed ones, in Fedora to
demonstrate Fedora's embracement and loyality to FLOSS.

Well, maybe Fedora should ditch apache, wireshark, perl, python, samba, subversion, vim, xmms and a lot of other packages then, as they are already checked by Coverity. Check the banner on scan.coverity.com, even the Linux kernel is.

Nils Breunese.