Re: [Fedora-infrastructure-list] Backups

Dennis Gilmore wrote:

Can everyone look over http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/ Backup and provide some feedback here so that we can get some traction moving forward.

Some issues not covered in the wiki are how each would be implemented. i know rdiff-backup and i assume backuppc would need to be ran by a user who has sufficient privileges on each machine to read whats needed to be backed up.
what does this mean?

The list looks pretty nice. I've implemented a BackupPC setup at my own company that is still in testing, but is already backing up ~10 servers (Fedora and CentOS machines) using rsync over ssh. In my setup BackupPC runs as a special shell-less user whose passphrase- less public key is added to /root/.ssh/authorized_keys on each host that is backed up. So far I'm loving BackupPC. However, I haven't seen any other solutions in action, so I can't say to much about them. However, judging from the list and the homepages of these solutions BackupPC does seem like a very easy to implement solution. If it can deliver all requirements I'd say give BackupPC a whirl.

Nils Breunese.