should we allow pt_pt in weblate? was Re: [Fedocal] Reminder meeting : L10N

Le 04/11/2019 à 15:44, Mike FABIAN a écrit :
But on Fedora (and probably most other Linux systems), it seems like pt
is used for Portuguese Portuguese.

Is there an “offical” policy?

What shall we do?

Hello mike,

For now, there is no issue in Weblate. The translator explicitly selected pt_pt instead of pt. I can rename the language code for your project if you wish.

For the rest of the Linux ecosystem, I have no idea, but I feel like the Linux ecosystem handles locales in a very basic way. In the web ecosystem, there is a list of priority, but I'm unsure this really exists in Linux.

A Brazilian Portuguese user should have in his list of priority, something like: pt_br before pt before pt_pt

This really is the same issue as the zh-tw, zh-cn change to zh-hant, zh-hans. Here is another side effect: https://github.com/mozilla/addons-server/issues/5829

The source of this Mozilla issue is https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/18419 which was a change closed in May 2013!

I'm unsure we should force Weblate to have a specific behavior, but rather let upstream projects to decide what language codes they wish to use, depending on their own deployment constraints.

Jean-Baptiste