Re: [magazine] Re: Created draft article for Using Emoji with Fedora 25

On 9 December 2016 at 14:48, Mike FABIAN <maiku.fabian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"pravin.d.s@xxxxxxxxx" <pravin.d.s@xxxxxxxxx> さんは書きました:

> On 9 December 2016 at 10:19, Ryan Lerch <rlerch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 2:47 PM, Ryan Lerch <rlerch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> As per the meeting this morning, this is slated now for release on Monday
>>> morning.
>>>
>>> I have gone through and done some editing, as well as adding some
>>> screenshots / screengifs and a Featured Image.
>>>
>>> IMHO this one is right to go, but happy to get feedback on my changes
>>> from some SMEs.
>>>

>> This public preview link might be useful too. :) sorry, meant to append it
>> to the previous email...
>>
>> https://fedoramagazine.org/?p=15822&preview=1&_ppp=f2d8786baf
>>

> Wow article looks awesome now.
> One minor enhancement.
> "and then enable *English – US (Typing Booster): *Otherwise, just add *English
> – US (Typing Booster):*"
>
> Here we should mention one can enable any other input method as well as per
> requirement, it should not be only be *English – US (Typing Booster).  *This
> is just an example. Just good to provide it in word.

Yes, instead of "English US (Typing Booster)", any input method which is
a real input engine, not just a keyboard layout serves the purpose
here. You can see which input methods are input engines because they
have this "settings icon" (The cog wheel) when listed by the gnome
control center. The input methods which do *not* have that settings icon
are just keyboard layouts.

To use the emoji input with the Control+Shift+e key sequence, one
must use a keyboard layout though.

Adding an engine like "English US (Typing Booster)" is only needed to
force Gnome to start ibus. If only keyboard layouts are configured in
the gnome control center and no "real" input engines, Gnome will not
start ibus automatically. But if you add at least one real engine to the
list, Gnome will start ibus. And when ibus is running and a keyboard
layout is used, ibus will also handle that keyboard layout and the
Control+Shift+e keyboard sequence will work.

If you use an input engine like "English US (Typing Booster)",
the Control+Shift+e keyboard sequence will *not* work.

However, "English US (Typing Booster)" has it's own emoji input support
which is enabled by default. I.e. when using "English US (Typing
Booster)" you can also get emoji by just typing something, if it matches
emoji you will get emoji in the candidate list. One does not have to use
a key sequence like Control+Shift+e in ibus-typing-booster to get emoji,
just type normally and if something matches emoji, one will get them
(The emoji input in ibus-typing-booster can be disabled in the setup of
ibus-typing-booster though because the emoji matching slows
ibus-typing-booster down a bit).

Thanks Mike for detailed response. We will definitely write one more article for new features of Ibus typing booster.

To make it simple, i had quick chat with Mike and we have added replacement text in Google Doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/16mWwyKnY3fC7C49V5UeIgzNYAQZicp1qeH09ldSO9Ok/edit

Please feel free to modify as per readers requirement. We might be bit technical :)

Thanks,
Pravin