Re: Improving i18n test cases

On Mon, 2015-03-02 at 16:21 +0530, pravin.d.s@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>     I was thinking on i18n test day going to happen on 19th March
> 2015.
> Presently we have page [1] with available test cases. I have some
> suggestions for improvement.
>
>    1. Splitting test cases into Generic (everyone), America, APAC
> and EMEA
> region.
>        Each test case does not make sense to everyone. Like testing
> Indic
> keyboard by other region users or testing CJK IME by other region
> users.
>        Secondly it will reduce the number of test cases for each
> person
> knowledgable about particular language.
>
>    2. If any particular setup is just about 3-4 lines, rather than
> providing link to it, provide contents on same page. Yeah its
> duplication
> but will help users to get all required points on single test page.
> Please
> note only if configuration requires only 3-4 line setup.

This all sounds great, and if you're confident in the needed changes I
think it's fine to just go ahead and do it :) Maybe post drafts for
review for a few days first (you can do this by creating pages in your
personal space on the wiki).

For point 2., you can use wiki templating. See e.g. these installation
partitioning test cases for an example:

https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=QA:Testcase_partitioning_guided_empty&action=edit
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=QA:Testcase_partitioning_guided_delete_all&action=edit

note that both their 'setup' steps start with:

{{Template:Partitioning_single_setup}}

{{somepage}} means 'include the content of somepage here'. So if you
look at that template page:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Template:Partitioning_single_setup

you can see that its contents are included in each of the test case
pages. (note those usages could be simplified: if the template page is
in the Template namespace, you don't actually need the Template: part
of the name in the {{}} link. Just {{Partitioning_single_setup}} would
actually work fine.)

So for the content that can be shared between multiple test cases,
create a template page and use {{pagename}} blocks to include its
content in the test cases.

For the advanced class, you can use arguments to make some of the
contents of template pages conditional, but for the simple case you
don't need to go that far :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey